Customer Router Information
Our residential customers are offered a pre-configured CTS router with their internet service for a monthly equipment charge. If you opt out of renting the CTS router, you will need to provide your own router to utilize your CTS internet service. CTS cannot guarantee the compatibility of a customer-purchased router with the CTS network. CTS will not be liable for any return or restocking fees associated with a customer-purchased router that is not compatible with the CTS network.
When you have purchased your new router, please give us a call to let us know what model you are now utilizing.
- You need a Router NOT a Modem or Wireless Access Point (WAP)
- A router can be purchased most places that have an electronics department, in addition to many websites.
- The router must be able to use Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE).
- This is a standard option on almost any home or business router
- Note: The router you utilize must support PPPoE. Eero Mesh System by Amazon, and Netgear Nighthawk are examples of routers that do NOT support PPPoE, among others.
You must be capable of programming your router.
- The default settings will not work with our service. Any new router should come with instructions or a CD to help with this. If not, an online search for the router make and model will likely lead to instructions.
- If a you are unable to program your own router, we can attempt to program it for you. Programming your personal router would be charged at a service rate of $125 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. There is no guarantee on this work as we cannot guarantee that a customer-purchased router works with our service. A router that was used with a previous service provider will likely not work with our service. Secondhand routers may come with issues and are not recommended.
- In the event of any future repair requiring CTS to configure your customer-purchased router, any troubleshooting required could also be billed at $125 per hour.
Here are the settings you need to use in programming the router:
- Internet (WAN) Type = PPPoE
- Username = cts
- Password = password
The username and password above are specific to the PPPoE setting, not the username and password for the router or wireless, which should have their own usernames and passwords.
All other settings can be set based on your own preference. A few common examples:
- Username and password of the router
- Local Area Network (LAN) settings such as IP, DHCP
- Wireless settings such as network name (SSID) and security
Please provide CTS with the make and model of your router for our records.